How to Install Android 4.1.2 UMBND2 on Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 SGH-I497
Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (AT&T) SGH-I497 is having its OS updated. By the end of this guide, your tablet will sport an updated Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean. This procedure isn’t difficult to perform and you’ll see why very soon!
The name of the firmware we’ll flash on your tablet is this: Android 4.1.2 UMBND2. Released not too long ago for Mexico (Telcel), this tool arrives with an activated KIES logo. This practically lets you update the gadget via Samsung’s popular KIES method. But for this to be efficient, the tablet has to sport a certain something: stock ROM. If yours doesn’t, the tutorial we come with today doesn’t ask for a stock ROM.
But we do ask that you use only the Samsung SGH-I497 for this upgrade. The new and official firmware doesn’t support other models. On the right model, the new update file does wonders. For one, the tablet has pop up play and triple buffering to look forward to. More than that, your gadget gets to experience the following: a free style widget.
There’s more: Google Now, touch anticipation and a fixed frame of 60 fps. The upgrade also gives you a new keyboard and automatic adjustment for the size of widgets. Mini apps are joined by all share and extended Vsync timing. The last goodies to become part of your tablet are these: group cast together with sync and connect email updates.
If rooted, the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (AT&T) I497 will lose its system partition and root access. It won’t, however, lose these: internal / external SD cards and data.
When you want to perform an upgrade, you have to perform some preparations beforehand. They’re requirements and the ones that apply here ask you this:
- your laptop must feature USB drivers on it, so go here and download them;
- the battery of your tablet has to be charged to its fullest;
- use, for this procedure, a notebook with Windows;
- activate USB Debugging on your Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 SGH-I497;
- to perform this update, your laptop must have its security programs deactivated;
- disable the security programs that are sported by your tablet;
- make sure backups are generated;
- a full NANDroid backup is something you should also perform.
Step by step instructions
There’s a bunch of packages you must download on the notebook for starters.
- They are the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean UMBND2 official firmware and Odin v3.09 (available here). Each of these should be saved on the notebook next, then extracted there with WinZip. If Odin v3.09.exe comes up soon after the unzipping, you will need to open it on your laptop.
- After that, enter the tablet in Download Mode. Several actions are needed here. They tell you the following: press and hold Home, Power and Volume Down simultaneously and, when a boot message gets displayed, press Volume Up.
- Immediately afterwards you will be asked to connect the Samsung SGH-I497 to your notebook. The plugging requires you to to use the tablet’s USB cable. Wait for a bit.
- As soon as a blue sign appears in Odin, your devices will have entered a connection as intended. So move on to this step: add the firmware file to the AP / PDA. The display will pop up some boxes.
- Check these two: Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time. Look for the Re-partition box. When you see it, you’ll notice it’s already checked. You must make sure it’s unchecked. If you are done, continue by tapping “Start”. If you click on this option, the UMBND2 official update firmware will begin a flashing mode that will last for around 15 minutes.
- If the amount of time we mentioned is up, the tablet will have a message to reveal in green. This message is “Pass“. You’ll need to unplug the tablet from your laptop as soon as the former restarts.
- If you want to be sure that your devices aren’t plugged to each other anymore, best remove the USB cord. Then go to your tablet, tap Settings on it, tap About Tablet and use the new firmware.
Should it not be everything you wanted, you have the NANDroid backup file to rely upon. If you use this special file, your gadget’s old ROM has the chance to come back. By coming back, though, the update will be revoked.
If any of you has questions or comments about the procedure, our comment section below is ready. Don’t feel ashamed to use it!