Flash Hercules KitKat 4.4 Custom ROM on Galaxy S2 SGH-T989
We are about to team T-Mobile Galaxy S2 SGH-T989 up with Android 4.4 Hercules custom ROM in this guide. All this is done in an attempt to update your phone to the new OS so that your handset isn’t stripped of the awesome features that come in the form of this new KitKat custom ROM.
The tool which is very close to updating your handset to the Android 4.4 uses the same features which makes KitKat so popular. If your T989 is updated to this firmware, you will quickly experience all of those features.
The most important ones are these: blue themed icon set, extra animation options, NexMusic Player, new custom battery icons, a great Beats audio driver, an excellent 1.8 GHz Kernel, TRDS for those of you who want a user interface in black, an additional build.prop, Linaro v4.7.4 for the Kernel and v4.8.3 for the ROM and init.d tweaks.
These features are not the only thing you’ll get to test out; the custom ROM you will find on your handset after you update it also arrives with no lags, stability and so on. Your Galaxy S2 is going to run smoothly if you upgrade it.
To apply this update, you need to consider the following group of pre-requisites:
- root your handset accordingly;
- look for TWRP or CWM to flash on your smartphone;
- charge the phone’s battery;
- make backups via one of our tutorials;
- download Google Apps from this page and the Hercules KitKat 4.4 custom ROM (file name: AwesomeAudio-KitKat-20131116-Hercules.zip) on your laptop;
- turn on USB Debugging;
- make sure you flash USB drivers fit for this handset from here on your notebook;
- your smartphone must come with an unlocked factory.
Since the requirements are now behind us, we will continue to the next stage of this tutorial. And this part is made entirely of steps that shall get you your update.
- Here is how it all starts: the second the two files from the requirements are downloaded + saved on your laptop or PC, you must plug the phone to the latter and then take the two files from the notebook and paste them on the SD card root of your handset.
- Once this copy and paste task is done, you should move on by powering the Galaxy S2 T989 off. When it’s no longer running, you need to unplug it from the other device.
- Then you will have to enter your smartphone in Recovery Mode: power the device on while pressing and simultaneously holding Volume Up, Home and Power.
- We are now asking you to do as follows: choose Factory Reset/Wipe Data to enable a full data wipe. Then continue by opting for Wipe Cache Partition.
- Now that two wiping tasks are out of the way, here is the third one: stay in the Recovery Mode, go to the Menu and, from there, select Advanced, followed by Wipe Dalvik Cache.
- Moving on, do the following: return to the device’s Recovery screen, choose Install zip from SD card, opt for Choose zip from SD card and then choose, with “Power”, the new custom ROM to make sure it ends up installed on your phone; then you should confirm this flashing.
- At the end of the installation, we need you to install the Gapps by redoing the steps which were meant for the flashing of the new ROM.
- Once the Galaxy S2 SGH-T989 has the two necessary packages, you will need to select +++Go Back+++. Now restart your handset by going to its Recovery Menu and choosing an option for the system restarting. And that is all: your smartphone is going to reboot and you will be able to have the best out of the update firmware!