How to flash Jelly Bean 4.1.2 WXME1 Official Firmware on Galaxy S2 SGH-T989
T-Mobile Galaxy S2 SGH-T989 will be changed once you update it to WXME1 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean firmware released by Samsung.
To begin this tutorial well, you should notice the following pre-requisites:
- if your comp does not have Windows, you should use CrossOver Utility in case the device runs Mac or Linux;
- then create backups via these instructions (including a full NANDroid one, following this guide);
- use the Galaxy S2 T989 which is carrier + bootloader unlocked;
- turn on USB Debugging;
- charge the battery;
- download and flash USB Drivers for the smartphone on your notebook, using this link.
How to install WXME1 on Galaxy S2
- Here is what is expected of you for the first couple of tasks: download Jelly Bean 4.1.2 WXME1 official firmware and Odin tool 3.07 on your notebook (from this place), then locate a good unzipping tool to extract them. The two files which are needed for the tutorial are .tar.md5 and Odin tool v3.07.exe.
- After you do that, make sure your handset if powered off before you continue with this action: boot it into Download Mode. This is done like shown here: press and hold, simultaneously, Volume Down, Home and Power. The fact that you will see Android’s logo on the display of the smartphone means this: press Volume Up.
- You are now in the Download Mode, so run the Odin3 v3.07.exe as Admin; which is performed like here: right-click on odin.exe and the tap Run as administrator.
- OK, now you are free to finally plug the handset to the laptop and in a few seconds you should see an “Added!!” message; you will also get to spot a yellow COM port number. When neither of the two is happening, you need to re-install the USB Drivers or use a USB port which is the the same as the one you used. Then tap PDA.
- Choose, for the next step, the .tar.md5 file which has CODE in the name. Then click on Phone, opt for a file that contains MODEM in the name, tap CSC and afterwards opt for a file with CSC in it and next tap PIT so that you can choose a file with .pit in its name.
- These check boxes must be opted for: F. Reset Time, Auto Reboot and Repartition; the box which has Repartition written next to it should be chosen only in case you opted for the file with the .pit extension.
- Have the following happen: tap START. If you’ve just pressed that, you can now rest a bit until the update firmware is installed on the Galaxy S2 T989, which will not take long to finish.
- Then, if the flashing phase has just ended, you should wait for the handset to restart and then to show you PASS; the latter means only one thing: it’s time to unplug the devices from one another. The T989 is sporting the Jelly Bean 4.1.2 build WXME1 as promised. The firmware is in the device’s “About Phone” if you want to take a look at it and start using it.
After you have just updated your T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-T989, you can root it with a dedicated guide.
NOTE: If your smartphone has problems such as remaining stuck in boot animation, only one thing will take care of the problem: go to the Recovery Mode, do a Factory reset/Wipe data and then perform a Wipe Cache Partition. Then end this tutorial by doing as follows: choose the phone’s restarting option.