Flash KitKat 4.4 BeanStalk Custom ROM on Galaxy Note SGH-I717
Because the situation calls for it, we are offering you a guide on how to update Galaxy Note I717 AT&T to Android 4.4 KitKat via BeanStalk custom ROM.
By rewarding your Galaxy Note with an update, you will make sure that the phone gets in contact with many interesting and novel things. As in new apps, new features and tweaks to help with the customization. The battery of your handset will go through a major change, meaning that it will last more. But your device’s cam will not function properly. Other than that, no major issues will bug you from now on.
Our tutorial includes, besides the usual update steps, these requirements:
- charge the battery of your handset;
- download the new custom ROM from this page and Google apps package from here (file name: pa_gapps-full-4.4-20131119-signed.zip) on your laptop or computer;
- create backups via this tutorial;
- install a custom recovery on your Galaxy Note SGH-I717.
As for the custom recovery that you should get for your handset, the best ones are either ClockworkMod or TWRP.
The procedure for TWRP-running devices
Our guide contains two mini tutorials depending on whether your device uses the TWRP or the CWM. We will begin with the one that is aimed at a TWRP-running smartphone.
- Enter your phone in Recovery Mode for the first step; this should go as displayed here: switch the Samsung SGH-I717 off, press + hold, at the same time, Volume Up, Home and Power, then let go of them when the logo of the phone appears.
- Now make a full NANDroid backup by applying these instructions: access “Backup” then opt for all of the check boxes you will see; now swipe for confirmation. Then be sure to apply a factory reset by clicking on “Wipe” and choose “Swipe to factory reset” (which is at the display’s bottom).
- Next task: perform something called System Format and then tap “Wipe”. Now select Advanced Wipe followed by System. Opt for “Swipe to wipe” again.
- Now you should flash the update file by tapping “Install”, look for the update firmware and click on it to choose it. Confirm this via a swipe.
- To install the Gapps, you need to redo the steps which installed the other file. Then restart the smartphone, return to the Recovery Menu and do this: choose “Reboot“.
- Now opt for Reboot System Now. After the phone restarts, the Android 4.4 KitKat with BeanStalk custom ROM will take its place on it. Enjoy! If you experience a boot loop, it’s time to apply a Factory Reset like we told you to.
The procedure for CWM-running devices
- If your Galaxy Note SGH-I717 operates on the CWM, you need to first enter the device in Recovery Mode like this: after the phone is turned off, you have to simultaneously press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power, then let them stop when the handset’s logo pops up.
- For the next task you should make a NANDroid backup by opening “Backup & Restore” and then selecting “Backup”. We now advise you to make a factory reset, which is very easy to perform: choose “Factory reset/Wipe data” and confirm by tapping “Yes“.
- Now you should perform something known as “system format”, which should happen like this: open “mounts and storage“, opt for “format/system” and confirm by clicking on “Yes”.
- To flash the upgrade file you need to choose “Install zip“, then opt for “Choose zip from SD card” and opt for the update tool after you see where it is.
- In order to also install the Gapps, you absolutely must redo the steps that landed the other update firmware on your Galaxy Note.
- What comes after this: restart the smartphone by launching the handset’s Recovery Menu and, from there, restart your device. The smartphone is now dealing with the new KitKat 4.4 BeanStalk custom ROM! Should the Galaxy Note I717 enter a boot loop that can’t be undone, we need you to use this method: apply, again, a factory reset.