Update Galaxy S2 SGH-T989 to Jelly Bean 4.3.1 Dirty Unicorns custom ROM
Galaxy S2 SGH-T989 from T-Mobile is being courted by Android 4.3.1 Dirty Unicorns Jelly Bean custom ROM. Reason enough for us to create this tutorial on how to install this firmware on your phone.
In case you want to have a go at the tool above, here’s what you should know about it. The new Dirty Unicorns brings smoothness and stability to the plate, as well as first-class new features, a longer functioning battery unit, a performance that is better than the one you experience on a daily basis, new custom ROMs that you can install on your phone and more. There are also possibilities to customize your Galaxy S2 T989.
Your handset has to be prepared for the arrival of the aforementioned goodies. How? By looking at these pre-requisites:
- root the phone first, via this tutorial;
- flash, on it, a custom recovery (TWRP or CWM is what you can use);
- charge the battery of your smartphone until it’s completely full;
- create several backups for your own good, using this guide;
- use the Galaxy S2 from T-Mobile that has its factory unlocked;
- download from here and flash USB drivers for it on your laptop or computer;
- turn on USB Debugging on your handset.
And that’s about all you should do before you update your phone. Now let’s see what steps there are for you to follow.
- Our very first instruction: find the Dirty Unicorns Jelly Bean 4.3.1 custom ROM and flash it on your notebook. Then search Google Apps package (available here); install this one on your laptop, too, then proceed to the plugging of your device to the notebook or PC you use.
- After that, go where you saved the two packages; then copy and paste them to the SD card root of your Galaxy S2 T989 and power the latter off when the transfer is all done. Next: unplug your devices from each other.
- Enter the handset in Recovery Mode like this: power your device on while pressing + holding, simultaneously, Home, Volume Up and Power. Then move on to these guidelines: choose Factory Reset/Wipe Data, wait for this full data wipe to be over, then choose Wipe Cache Partition to allow the erasing of the phone’s cache partition, too.
- The next task we have for you: go to Advanced from the Recovery, opt for Wipe Dalvik Cache and return to the Recovery screen after that. When you’re there, you should choose Install zip from SD card and then Choose zip from SD card.
- You will then need to go, with the volume buttons, to the custom ROM .zip file. Choose it by tapping “Power”. You will now have to confirm the flashing of that file and then wait until it’s installed.
- To flash the Gapps afterwards, you have to redo all the steps that got the main update file on your smartphone; confirm this, too, then have patience once more.
- The flashing of these two files should go smoothly. After they are on the phone, you have to go to +++Go Back+++, then to the device’s Recovery Menu.
- From this spot, you need to look around until you see the restart option; opt for the latter and your handset is going to reboot soon.
The Galaxy S2 SGH-T989 is updated to the Dirty Unicorns Android 4.3.1 Jelly Bean custom firmware.