How to Install Android 4.2.2 ZSUBML3 on Galaxy S4 Mini GT-I9190
There are a lot of fine points about Galaxy S4 Mini GT-I9190. But if you truly want to see its real self, you should try updating it. New firmware is out for your handset and it will bring Android 4.2.2 on it. The procedure is detailed below.
The new official firmware we just mentioned is ZSUBML3. It was released this month for these countries: Hong Kong and Taiwan. If your device comes with a stock ROM, you can choose to upgrade it with Samsung’s KIES if you want an alternative to our guide; the firmware has an activated KIES logo for this.
Either way, once the update is performed, your device will sport the following: a new Gallery app with superior speed when loading, a new set of sounds for wireless charging and low battery bug fixes, USB debug white-list, no Bluetooth audio streaming bugs, the possibility to long-press the WiFi and Bluetooth icons in Quick Settings so that you can easily toggle the on/off state and a whole new set of download notifications.
Even with such fine goodies, the new firmware will revoke root access and your device’s system partition will be erased. But only if your Galaxy S4 Mini I9190 is rooted. The good news is that the important data and internal/external SD cards will be saved from damage.
Don’t update a different smartphone because you will brick it.
You can now move on to the pre-requisites below:
- enable, on the Galaxy S4 Mini GT-I9190, the option labelled USB Debugging;
- install USB drivers on the laptop (they must be drivers that are compatible with the handset);
- make sure there are two types of backup created (one should be a normal one and the other must be a full NANDroid backup, generated with this tutorial);
- charge your smartphone’s battery unit;
- Windows is the operating system that must come with your notebook;
- the security solutions featured on the handset and the laptop shouldn’t be turned on for this guide.
Step by step instructions
The moment you’ve been waiting for is here: you will learn how to update your handset.
- Start by downloading, on your laptop, the Jelly Bean 4.2.2 ZSUBML3 (you can get the Hong Kong version from here and you’ll find the Taiwan variant on this site) and Odin 3.09.exe, from this location. With the aid of WinZip or WinRar, do this: extract the two packages.
- The phone must then be booted into Download Mode, so do that by simultaneous pressing and holding Home, Volume Down and Power, look for a screen of warning and after that press Volume Up.
- After you open the Odin as Admin on the notebook, you need to perform this task: connect, with a USB cord that belongs to the phone, the latter to the laptop and then wait for the establishing of a connection.
- The plugging will only end well if you are welcomed by “Added!!” and a yellow ID:COM box on the display. In case you aren’t, you have to retry by installing the USB drivers once more or using a different USB port.
- If the connection was established from the first try, good: you can now tap BL, select a file with BL in the name, click on AP, opt for a file with AP in the name, tap CP, choose a file with CP in its name, tap CSC, opt for a file which has CSC in the name, tap PIT and select a file with an extension that has .pit in it.
- When done, move on to the next step. You will have to activated Re-partition, F. Reset Time and then check Auto Reboot, after which you should tap “Start“.
- This is going to start the flashing of the firmware on your handset. Its end will be signaled in the following way: your Galaxy S4 Mini GT-I9190 is going to restart, then a message in green reading “Pass” shall appear.
- When you notice them, you will have to unplug the handset from the notebook and get a taste of the new firmware. This one is located on your device now and you can find it only if you use this method: click on About Phone after you’ve tapped Settings. You will then get to get a hands-on experience with the ZSUBML3.
In case it doesn’t look too interesting and you miss the old ROM, return to the NANDroid backup file. Use it to restore that ROM. The update is going to be revoked afterwards.
We are ready for your questions and comments. Leave them in the section below.