Install Jelly Bean 4.2.2 XXUBMGC Official Firmware on Galaxy S4 GT-I9505
Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 users in Germany should rejoice: Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean XXUBMGC is here to be installed on your phone. Our guide is going to use various methods for this procedure; they are as follows: manually (with the help of Odin), with Samsung KIES and with OTA.
The first way to do things has the great advantage of not losing the phone’s warranty and it’s very fast to work through; the second and third methods are also great, because they are both very easy to perform.
These are the pre-requisites you must complete before trying out the above methods:
- download USB drivers for the Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 on your notebook;
- use only the I9505 German model;
- charge the battery of your handset;
- use a PC or a laptop that uses Windows;
- create backups using this method;
- turn on USB Debugging.
How to flash XXUBMGC using Odin tool
The Odin method of updating your smartphone is given below.
- You should download, for starters, the XXUBMGC official firmware (file name: I9505XXUBMGC_I9595DTMBMG4_DTM.zip) and Odin tool 3.07 on your laptop (via this link). Extract these two and then switch the handset off.
- Now boot the device into Download Mode as detailed here: press and hold, at the same time, Home + Volume Down + Power, then wait for a message of warning so that you can press Volume Up and land in the Download Mode.
- Now look for Odin Mode and then for this message: “Downloading… , Do not turn off target!!“. Double-click on Odin tool v3.07.exe (which is inside the Odin archive you downloaded) to open the Odin file, then plug the phone to the laptop and see if there’s an “Added!!” message on the message box; this means that the plugging went well.
- Be sure to tap Odin next. Then opt for *.tar.md5, the file that is in the first package you downloaded on your PC. Check Auto Reboot next; if Re-partition is checked, reverse that.
- The *.tar.md5 file will be installed on the handset after you tap “Start“. When the installation is over, you will see “Pass” on the screen and the phone is going to reboot.
- The update firmware is now on your device’s “Android & Baseband” from “About phone“.
How to update the phone via Samsung KIES
Learn how to upgrade your smartphone to the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean XXUBMGC official firmware with Samsung Kies.
- Download the Samsung KIES on the notebook, then plug the Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 to your comp.
- Now launch, on the latter, the Samsung Kies and look for “New Firmware Upgrade is available” to pop up on the software’s home. Move on by tapping on “Firmware Upgrade” and after that agree to the terms and conditions you will see soon.
- Tap “Start Upgrade“, then wait a bit. Once the installation of the firmware is complete, the phone will reboot on its own. The upgrade firmware is in the same “Android & Baseband” place.
- In case you come across this “This is the latest firmware” message in Kies, then have some patience until the phone’s manufacturer unveils the upgrade tool through Kies.
The OTA method
And now for the last update method, which uses OTA.
- You have to first turn your Galaxy S4 I9505 on. Then make sure you are in the device’s Android Apps drawer.
- From there, you need to do this: opt for “Settings“, then go to “System” and choose “About phone“.
- Next: opt for “Software update” and choose “Update“. After the phone starts looking for updates, you will soon be shown which one is available for download.
- In that case: tap “OK“. The Jelly Bean 4.2.2 firmware update will then be flashed on your handset. The end of the installation process will make the device reboot.
- You may see this on the screen: “The latest updates have already been installed“. This translates into: wait and see when the manufacturer comes up with an OTA upgrade.