How to Install KitKat 4.4.2 VVUFNC6 on Galaxy S4 SCH-R970C
To keep Galaxy S4 SCH-R970C up-to-date with goes on in terms of Android goodies, a developer just came out with Android 4.4.2 VVUFNC6. What this official firmware brings new is described in this tutorial. Check it out!
Those of our readers who live in the USA and want to upgrade their Galaxy S4 SCH-R970C to the KitKat version, we advise using firmware called VVUFNC6. It just became available for your country and smartphone this month. The carrier which best works with it is Cricket. Don’t use another smartphone for today’s procedure. If you do, the device will be bricked.
A new firmware which gets installed on a rooted handset will do some damage. In the case of your phone, root access will be revoked. Not only that, but its system partition will be erased. As for the internal and external SD cards on your smartphone: they won’t be affected. And neither will the most important data on-board the Galaxy S4 SCH-R970C.
The upgrade in this case can be done via Samsung’s KIES. The new firmware we have for today’s upgrade has a KIES logo which is already activated. For this, though, only a phone with stock ROM must be used. In case the handset has no such ROM, you can update the phone with our tutorial.
The Android 4.4.2 KitKat will reveal its goodies as soon as it’s on your smartphone. Some of the most important features are the possibility to personalize the device, use it more since the battery will last longer and so on. Compared to other versions, this update firmware has no major security threats. New apps and various tweaks complete the list of goodies which will make your phone deliver better performance.
Now for a complete list of requirements:
- the handset’s battery has to be fully charged;
- create a standard backup with the help of the instructions on this page;
- a NANDroid backup should be created next;
- turn off the phone’s security solutions;
- your smartphone’s USB Debugging needs to be turned on;
- download USB drivers for this phone on the laptop;
- a laptop with Windows pre-installed should always be used for an update;
- deactivate the security programs on your laptop.
Step by step instructions
- Start the update with the step that requires the download of the KitKat 4.4.2 VVUFNC6 official firmware for the USA (Cricket) on your laptop. With that done, extract the package via 7Zip, then download Odin v3.09 on the laptop. Unzip it as well. Odin v3.09.exe is going to be delivered among many other files.
- Open it on the notebook and move on by entering your Samsung R970C in Download Mode. To perform this, press and hold Home, Power and Volume Down at the same time for a bit. After a couple of minutes, you will see a boot message. This means that you can press Volume Up and complete this step.
- Move on to the next one. For it, do the following: create a connection between the laptop and your phone with the latter’s USB cable. Odin is going to go looking for the handset.
- It will find it soon, then a blue sign will be revealed. You will then know that the plugging’s been done. You should add the firmware file to AP / PDA and uncheck, when it appears, this box: Re-partition. Other boxes will also come up; check these: Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time. When you’re done, tap “Start“ and the installation of the new firmware will begin.
- If you want to know when it’s over, look at your phone. If it shows a “Pass” message in green and proceeds to restarting next, the flashing will have been completed. If so, make sure the handset and the laptop aren’t plugged to one another. This is possible via this action: take the USB cord out.
- When no cable is uniting your Galaxy S4 SCH-R970C to your other device, how about looking at the new firmware and goodies delivered by the new OS?
- To open it on the phone, do this: tap Settings and then About Phone. You should be able to access all of the novelties we told you about above.
If the VVUFNC6 doesn’t do great things for your smartphone, time to restore the old ROM. Which is a job for the NANDroid backup file. Use it, then enjoy the previous ROM again. The price for this, though, is the following: the upgrade will be revoked.
When you wish to ask us something, use the comment field below.