Guide: Root Galaxy S4 I9505 on Jelly Bean 4.2.2 XXUBMGA Official Firmware
We recently sat down and wrote a guide on how to update Galaxy S4 I9505 on Android 4.2.2 XXUBMGA. So, naturally, we had to teach this phone’s owners how to root it. The answer to that burning question is this one: with CF-Auto-Root tool as shown in this tutorial.
The firmware was thought about by Chainfire, a developer who is part of XDA Developers forum. So you can rest assured that your phone is not going to drown in a sea of bugs or that you will not get to try out nice features.
The only thing that may concern you, at least when you first hear it, is this: the handset will no longer deliver its warranty in case you wish to see it. You will have another go at the warranty by unrooting your Galaxy S4 GT-i9505 or by using Triangle Away.
For one of the most important part in any tutorial, which is the part where we discuss requirements, we prepared the following list:
- turn on USB Debugging (if clueless, this option is in your phone’s Developer Option after you tap Settings);
- your notebook needs to be installed with the USB drivers that your handset needs, so go and find them before you flash them;
- make backups using these instructions;
- charge the battery of your smartphone;
- use the variant that is carrier and factory unlocked.
We shall now give you the steps that will help make the rooting procedure go in a smooth way. ‘Pay attention to all of them!
- Download the CF-Auto-Root archive (with CF-Auto-Root-jflte-jfltexx-jgti9505.zip as its file name) and Odin tool on your PC from this location. Include these couple of actions for the next step: unzip the zip files and power the smartphone off after the unzipping stage is over.
- Now concentrate on entering the i9505 into Download Mode; this phase of the guide is done in a certain way, which requires these actions:
- press and hold, together, Volume Down, Home and Power;
- the usual logo of Android and a background whose color is green should appear on the screen;
- press Volume Up;
- behold as the Download Mode is achieved
- The notebook should now have the Odin open as Admin. After that task is completed, you have to move on by ensuring the plugging of the phone to your notebook.
- Then see if you spot either “Added!!” or a yellow ID:COM port box jumps at you from the screen; in case it doesn’t, then you have to solve the issue by changing the USB port which you have been using or flash the USB Drivers again. Do not leave Odin for the next step.
- Which needs you to click on PDA. Then opt for the CF-Auto-Root .tar.md5 file and then have these boxes selected: F. Reset Time and Auto Reboot. Look around for Re-partition; leave it unchecked.
- After START is tapped, you will have to wait until the root firmware is flashed on the Galaxy S4 I9505; the latter will then restart. Also, it shall display PASS together with a green-colored background.
- You now have to make sure of the following: the smartphone needs to be disconnected from your laptop so that you can finally enjoy the root access you’ve just gained on your Galaxy S4 I9505 powered by Jelly Bean 4.2.2 XXUBMGA firmware.
The root access on your smartphone can be checked only if you download and flash Root Checker on the device. Go to Google Marketplace and get this particular app from there. Now you can be sure that the tutorial has been completed just fine. Try out some root-only apps now!