How to Root Samsung Stratosphere SCH-I405
The list of gadgets, be they smartphone or tablets, that can be rooted via tutorials grows every day. Likewise, more and more developers work on ways to help owners of those devices learn how to root them in a fun and easy way.
And here we are, offering you our guide on how to root Samsung Stratosphere SCH-I405 (Verizon Wireless). Learn how to enjoy root locked applications, install custom ROMs, have better operating system versions and so on from this post.
We also put together, besides this tutorial, a list of requirements. If you don’t pay very close attention to them, this guide won’t produce the desired effects on your smartphone. So here you go: use a laptop that comes with Windows already installed on it, get USB Drivers for the Stratosphere SCH-I405 on the latter and charge the battery of the handset. You must perform a full backup using this guide, or a partial one, with your important settings and applications.
After your device is rooted, you will no longer have access to its warranty. To regain it, you will have to unroot the Stratosphere with a tutorial written by us. If you use another guide, it won’t be the same.
Our plea on following the pre-requisites above is now over. The time has come to show you the steps that will root your handset.
- For step one you need to download, on your laptop, two files; here they are: Root Package and then Heimdall. Now you have to send them to this place: the comp’s desktop. From here on you should extract what the files contain to the same location.
- For the second step, your task is this: switch the Samsung Stratosphere off, then make sure to help it restart into Download Mode; which can be achieved like this: press and hold, simultaneously, Volume Down and Power.
- In step three, the display of the phone will show a warning message; press Volume when you see it do that. Then just plug the smartphone to your laptop.
- Now it’s time for step four. Its recommendations are as follows: open a Command Line Window on the laptop by pressing + holding Shift on the keyboard, then use the mouse and right click to the display. Opt for Open command line here when you are done. Then enter
into the Command Line Window.
- The fifth step looks like this: wait for Device Detected to appear on the touchscreen. Now you should type in
heimdall flash --kernel root-zImage
and wait for the insecure kernel to be installed on the smartphone. Now the latter is going to restart in normal way and you should go to the Menu, opt for Settings, choose Applications, select Development and then turn on the option called USB debugging.
- For the next step, the sixth, you will have to do as follows: return to the Command Prompt Window. Now enter
The name of the phone will pop up on a list that’s linked to the laptop. If you see it, type in
This will remount your system.
- Step seven will tell you to enter
adb push su /system/bin
adb push busybox /system/bin
adb push Superuser.apk /system/app
Now type in
adb shell chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
adb shell chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox
in order to modify file permissions.
- The last step, the eighth, will need you to reboot the Stratosphere. Your SCH-I405 will now be rooted.