Update Galaxy Nexus SCH-i515 to Shiny Android 4.4 KitKat Custom ROM
Samsung Galaxy Nexus SCH-i515 will have its day made by Shiny Android 4.4 KitKat custom ROM. This is one of those tools that have a lot to say for the well-being of your phone.
As soon as your device welcomes the new AOSP custom ROM, a myriad of stuff will come your way. The main ones are new features. Here go the most important ones:
- Google Chrome for your browsing needs;
- Google Apps package included;
- Android 4.4 build KRT16M;
- the possibility to easily root your handset;
- Shiny restart options;
- zero bugs (as far as we noticed);
and more where these came from. One thing to add: the firmware comes already deodexed.
There were some features that did not work as they should have on the previous tool. With this firmware, they do, and they are these: Bluetooth streaming, Google Account sign-in, Wi-Fi tether, Phtosphere, SMS, auto-restore of apps and also settings, email, HW acceleration, Google Wallet, data, Android beam, voice, Location Services, exchange support and photo editing via fresh filters.
Once you are made aware of what you get in exchange for the Shiny AOSP custom ROM, we will now tell you what pre-requisites to watch out for if you want a successful upgrade:
- root the Verizon SCH-i515 you use for our guide, following these instructions;
- get a custom recovery on it, from here (CWM and TWRP are both fine, so choose one of them);
- employ the phone that has its USB Debugging enabled and is factory unlocked;
- create a regular backup and a full NANDroid one;
- charge your phone’s battery;
- make sure you don’t forget to sync Contacts and People details with the Gmail account you own.
The only thing that remains to be done: flash the update file on your Galaxy Nexus i515. With the steps below.
- Download, first, these files on your notebook or your comp: Shiny Android 4.4 AOSP custom ROM, bootloader kit archive, Radios configuration file and Chainfire SuperSU Root installation file.
- Now connect your phone to your PC and get these files from the laptop to the handset’s SD card root. Unplug the devices from one another after the end of the transfer, then switch the smartphone off.
- Next: enter your phone in Recovery Mode by booting into Bootloader Mode, choosing “Recovery” and then tapping “Power”.
- Move on to these steps: opt for Factory Reset/Wipe Data, confirm the data wipe, choose Install zip from SD card and afterwards opt for this: Choose zip from SD card.
- From this moment on, look for a file called FK01_FK02_Radios-signed.zip (that belongs to the Radios configuration file from earlier). Then confirm its flashing and install the Bootloader by choosing these options: Install zip from SD card and Choose zip from SD card.
- Confirm the flashing of a PRIMEMD04_Bootloader-signed.zip (which comes with the bootloader installation zip) and find out how to flash the update file on your phone.
- The process is easy: you need to begin by opting for the Install zip from SD card and the Choose zip from SD card options. Continue by doing this: locate a certain baldwinguy77_toro .zip file.
- After you find it, confirm its flashing and wait for the process to end. Then opt for Choose zip from SD card and install the SuperSU file; the latter is done so that root can be applied again.
- Now go back to the Recovery Menu to restart the handset. Wait for the update tool’s home screen to appear so that you can go to your Gmail and enter, there, your details to enjoy your updated phone.
Should the Galaxy Nexus SCH-i515 not boot after 10 minutes have passed, you should repeat this guide. That needs to be done in case the handset freezes in boot animation or experiences boot loops.