Update Samsung GT-B9120 to Android 2.3.6 ZNLH1 Official Firmware
You’ll have a full day today if you own Samsung B9120. That’s due to the fact that you will get to install Android 2.3.6 ZNLH1 official firmware by following our guide.
The tutorial we’ve written with this smartphone in mind is compatible with the Chinese version of the GT-B9120. The device was released in August last year and the firmware, with its KIES activated, was launched the same month and year.
With that in mind, don’t update another phone with our method because you will end up bricking its firmware. Also, by having an activated KIES, the Gingerbread 2.3.6 ZNLH1 stock firmware can be installed on your smartphone with the actual KIES itself if you know how. That is, if you decide not to follow our guide.
But if you do use our tutorial, know this: it is written for those of you who can’t update your handset via OTA with the Software Update button under Settings menu or via KIES. Should your Samsung B9120 be rooted, the firmware will revoke its root access and you will witness the phone’s system partition being deleted as soon as the update happens. But you should know that your device’s important files as well as its internal and external SD cards will not be deleted or affected by the upgrade.
The official firmware we are using for this guide will bring novelties. For example, your handset will have tweaks to make the device easy to customize, the battery life will last more, you will get to see new apps and features and the phone will not experience bugs. The device will have its performance improved thanks to the speed and stability delivered by the new firmware.
You will now get accustomed to the following requirements that must be considered:
- flash USB drivers for this phone on your laptop (or personal computer);
- turn USB Debugging on;
- check and see if the laptop runs Windows, because the latter is the only acceptable OS for our guide;
- check your handset’s battery status and, if it shows under 50% charge, make sure the battery is 100% charged;
- disable, on both the laptop and the handset, their security programs;
- make a regular backup via this guide and a full NANDroid one, using this tutorial.
And that is all in terms of pre-requisites. Now comes the nice part where we introduce the steps which will update your smartphone in no time at all.
- Make sure to download and save the new Android 2.3.6 Gingerbread stock firmware and then Odin tool 3.07 from here on your notebook or PC.
- Since these two packages contain all sorts of important files, you’d better unzip them and make sure their content appears on your laptop’s desktop before you enter the GT-B9120 in Download Mode. This mode is reachable only if you do this: press and simultaneously hold Volume Down + Home + Power. Then press Volume up until the green Android logo appear.
- On your laptop be sure to open the Odin and then plug the handset to it with the phone’s USB cable. To assure a successful plugging, wait until you see a yellow-colored ID:CO box or an “Added!!” message. In case the connection is not established, you need to use a different USB port or take the USB drivers and flash them one more time.
- After the connection goes on as planned, you should proceed to the next step: click on PDA, choose a file with CODE in the name, then click on Phone, opt for a file with MODEM in its name, tap CSC, choose a CSC file, tap PIT and select that file which has .pit in it.
- Then activate the boxes labelled F. Reset Time, Auto Reboot and Re-partition. Then make sure you begin the installation of the Android 2.3.6 ZNLH1 by tapping “Start“. Then, when the flashing ends, the screen will display “Pass”; then the phone will restart and you will need to wait until its home screen appears.
- That means you can finally unplug the GT-B9120 from the laptop. You’re now free to launch About Phone from the Settings section of your smartphone’s main menu.
Maybe you don’t like the new firmware. In that case you can revoke the update process by using the NANDroid backup file we recommended.
The comment field below is yours to ask for help in case you run into problems of any kind, so use it.