Update Sony Xperia X8 to Jelly Bean 4.1.2 via Unofficial CM10 ROM
Whenever an official custom ROM appears, an unofficial one is sure to show up, too. Which is not a bad thing, because they don’t always bring bugs with them; and most often than not they actually feature many more groovy features to choose from.
The unofficial custom ROM that’s caught our eye this time is called CM10. It will update your Sony Xperia X8 to Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean. Let’s see how from this tutorial.
The update, however, won’t get to happen unless you abide by some requirements as shown below:
- use a laptop that’s installed with Windows;
- get your handset and turn on USB Debugging;
- create backups with your settings and your important data;
- root the smartphone;
- get rid of the software which offers protection against threats (on the phone and the comp);
- choose between ClockworkMod Recovery and TWRP and install one of them;
- charge the battery of the Xperia X8.
The slight problem with this tutorial: the smartphone will lose its pre-installed warranty. But solutions to this have already been thought of. So, to get it back, you can either reset the flash counter or simply downgrade the device to stock ROM. Whichever option you use, it will deliver the expected result in the blink of an eye.
And so we’ve finally reached the awaited part: the steps to use in order to install the Unofficial CM10 Custom ROM on the Sony Xperia X8.
- According to step 1, you should download and save Android 4.2.2 based CM10 file on your laptop; do the same for GApps package (the file is included in the first archive).
- Step two goes in the following vein: take all necessary measures to plug the smartphone to your computer; copy the two files from your laptop to your Xperia X8 (on its SD card).
- The recommendations of the third step sound like this: disconnect the phone from the laptop. After the handset is switched off, you have to reboot the X8 into Recovery Mode.
- Number four in this guide tells you to use a full phone’s wipe like this: opt for Factory Reset/Wipe Data, Wipe Cache Partition and Wipe Dalvik Cache.
- The step that’s number five comes and tells you to choose the following options: +++go back+++ and installation of the file using the phone’s memory card.
- For the sixth step you are asked to opt for Choose zip from SD card. Then choose the update archive and follow the instructions to get the update on the Xperia X8.
- For step 7 you have to follow steps 5 (from “Install zip from SD card“) and 6 to install the Google Apps. Afterwards you should choose +++go back+++.
- Last step: restart the phone.