Install Jelly Bean 4.2.2 VPUAMF9 Official Firmware on Galaxy S4 SPH-L720
Galaxy S4 L720 from Sprint will sport Android 4.2.2 JB VPUAMF9 official firmware in the course of today if you follow this guide.
The initial concern you should be having is this one: what requirements are the ones which are available for my smartphone before I update it? The answer is below:
- make sure your handset is the Samsung Galaxy S4 (Sprint) SPH-L720;
- make backups via these instructions;
- download and flash USB Drivers on your notebook for your phone from this place;
- charge the battery of your device;
- turn on USB Debugging by going to Settings, then launching Developer Options and after that choosing the option you need.
How to flash VPUAMF9 on Galaxy S4
- Then you need to download, for the introduction to this tutorial, the Jelly Bean 4.2.2 VPUAMF9 stock firmware (file name: L720VPUAMF9_L720SPTAMF9_SPR.zip) and Odin tool v3.07 from this location.
- With the help of an unzipping tool, make sure the content of the 2 packages is extracted on your laptop; from the multitude of files you will see after the extraction is finally over, these two are the most important ones: .tar.md5 and Odin tool v3.07.exe.
- After your handset is switched off, you have to boot it into Download Mode like we are showing you below:
- press and hold, at the same time, Volume Down, Home and Power;
- this action will make the logo of Android jump on the display;
- also, you need to look for “!”;
- then press Volume Up;
- the Galaxy S4 SPH-L720 is in Download Mode;
- Oncethat is done, you should run theODIN as Admin on the PC and then do as follows: plug your handset to your laptop and have patience until the handsetis spotted. Thiswill be indicated by two signs:
- a message which reads “Added!!“
- a yellow-colored ID:COM box
- If neither of the signs mentioned above refuses to appear, then you have to use a different tactic: you can either use another USB port or resort to flashing the USB Drivers again.
- After you completeall of these crucial tasks, you have to opt for the files you are about to see next:
- select a file with .tar or .md5 after you opt for PDA;
- tap Phone and afterwards make sure the file you select has MODEM in the name;
- choose a file with CSC in the name once you are done clicking on CSC;
- tap PIT and then opt for the .pit file you will see shortly.
- But in case the files we just listed above do not appear, no worries. Stay where you are, which is Odin, and check these boxes: F. Reset Time, Re-partition (if you opted for the .pit file) and Auto Reboot.
- Tap START in order to begin this: the flashing of the update firmware. Then, if that firmware is on the SPH-L720, you can sit still and wait for it to restart and afterwards to display PASS with a background in green.
- Disconnect the handset from the notebook after that and then go to Settings and choose About phone. Why should you do that? To see the Jelly Bean 4.2.2 VPUAMF9 based firmware on your Galaxy S4 L720.
NOTE: Don’t go into a frenzy if the phone is stuck, at some point, in boot animation. We have just the way to get your device to fully recover from that situation. So here you go:
- enter Recovery Mode;
- do a Factory Reset/Wipe Data;
- perform a Wipe Cache Partition wipe;
- select the phone’s restarting option.
Now your Samsung L720 is all good to go, so grab that opportunity right now!