How to Install CyanogenMod 11 KitKat 4.4 custom ROM on Sony Xperia Z
All that Xperia Z needs to make you one extra happy owner is an update. Which update will happen if you read this guide and follow its steps.
But what about the tool that will upgrade your Sony Xperia Z? We chose CM11 KitKat 4.4 custom ROM for our plans. This is the firmware which is going to provide your smartphone with all the necessary features and options that shall make it even more desirable. The CyanogenMod 11 was created by a developer who based it on the official Android 4.4 tool.
The firmware that we will be using to upgrade your handset today has plenty of stuff to keep you interested. Even though it’s not an official upgrade, you will get the sort of apps, tweaks and features that will help deliver the kind of performance you’ve sought for.
The tweaks in particular will make it possible and very easy to personalize your handset. Your phone’s battery life will improve significantly, custom ROMs will become easy to install on your smartphone and the new features that come with the custom ROM will be a very welcome addition to your device.
You won’t experience bugs, lack of stability or freezing. Your handset will move quickly, as well. However, the warranty of your smartphone shall disappear once the latter is upgraded; to be able to have it back you need to update the phone via official KitKat software. You can also try to downgrade your device to stock Android Jelly Bean. Below you will find out what steps to use so that the upgrade goes smoothly.
The steps should, however, happen after you are done with the following requirements:
- root your Xperia Z and flash a custom recovery on it from this page;
- fully charge your handset’s battery unit
- turn off the security software that is used by the phone and the laptop alike
- make backups (a regular and a full NANDroid backup)
- open Menu, access Settings, launch Developer Options and enable a box called USB Debugging.
Finally, you will see how to upgrade your Xperia Z to the CyanogenMod 11 custom ROM with the above steps.
- Your first action should be the download of Google apps package (file name: pa_gapps-full-4.4-20131119-signed.zip) and the new custom ROM on your laptop. When these two special packages have been saved on that device, you should move them both from there to the SD card root of your Xperia Z after you’ve plugged the devices to each other; remember: don’t extract them.
- Now you should look at the following step: once the previous transfer of the two files has been done, you should disconnect the phone from the notebook and then boot the handset in Recovery Mode.
- After the Xperia Z is booted into the correct mode, you need to stay there. Then, from the device’s Recovery Menu, try and look for an option named Factory Reset/Wipe Data. When the latter is spotted, time to do this: opt for it.
- When you are all done with the above instructions, you will have to make sure you select this option: Wipe Cache Partition, then look for Wipe Dalvik Cache and choose this one, too. As soon as these options have been chosen, you need to stay in the Recovery.
- Then perform this step: opt for Install zip from SD card. If you’ve completed this action, you need to opt for Choose zip from SD card and then select the update file to flash it on your phone.
- When the installation is at its end, you have to install the Google Apps by repeating the steps that were used for the flashing of the CM11 KitKat 4.4 custom ROM. Wait a bit, then go back to the phone’s Recovery Menu.
- Be sure to restart your device by selecting the appropriate option. Your Xperia Z is now sporting the update file! Launch it from “About phone” and enjoy it.