Update HTC Incredible S to Jelly Bean 4.1.1 using Codename custom ROM
Once again a developer is the one to jump to the rescue of people who want the Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean operating system on their HTC Incredible S. In today’s article we will show our readers how they can get the OS update to their own phones.
It took quite long for Taiwanese company HTC to land the Android Ice Cream Sandwich OS on their Incredible S handset. However, even if the newest Jelly Bean 4.1.1 has already been launched not too long ago, the Incredible S still runs with the older version. And that is why someone else had to think of a way to offer owners of this phone a long-awaited Jelly Bean update. Via a custom ROM that was created by a developer by the name of nikhil007mmus. But, since this is not an official release, keep in mind that it can introduce bugs on your smartphone. You can encounter problems with Wi-Fi Hotspot, LED notifications and so on. So be absolutely sure that you want this upgrade. Also, understand that if you download the ROM on any other phone than the HTC Incredible S, it will not work. Worse, it may affect your phone irremediably.
Moreover, pay very good attention to the steps we wrote on this page. If you miss one of them, the installation process will not proceed as expected. And the update to the Jelly Bean OS will not work properly.
You are going to need the following before you begin the process. Your HTC Incredible S must have ClockworkMod Recovery and S-OFF installed on it beforehand. If it doesn’t, you can get them online without any problem at all.
After checking whether or not your devices has the two features above, you have to next download both of these two packages: GApps pack (file called gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip) and Codename Android ROM for HTC Incredible S (file called Codename-Android-3-NIGHTLY-09022012-VIVO.zip). The next requirement is to see if the phone’s battery is 70% (or more) charged. If it isn’t, charge it before following the steps in our instructions. The final requirement is to make a backup of every little thing on your Incredible S that you consider very important. If you don’t, you will most likely see nothing of your most important data once the installation process is over.
Behold the instructions that, if you take extra care to follow entirely, will bring you the long-awaited for Jelly Bean OS on your phone.
- First step is to copy the Codename Android custom ROM pack and the Google Apps package from here. They have to be copied to the internal memory card of the Incredible S.
- Second step includes the switching off of your phone.
- The third step has to do with the holding of the Volume Down and Power keys. You have to hold them down until you see that the phone starts to boot up to the bootloader or HBOOT Mode. Then, with the help of the button for Volume, you have to highlight RECOVERY and then press the Power key and choose this option.
- In the fourth step you must opt for the Factory reset/Wipe data option. Then you need to confirm the reset you just did.
- Fifth step is the installation of the zip file using the SD card location > Choose zip from SD card option. After youdid that, scroll to the ROM file on the SD card. When you’re done with that, opt for the ROM file. Then you need to confirm your wish to install that file.
- For step six you are going to have to do what we told you in step five. However, the package you need to install here is the Google Apps one.
- Step 7 is to go back to the main recovery menu.
- In the eighth and final step you must opt for system restarting. This is going to restart the HTC Incredible S.
You can now finally discover what the Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean has to offer to people choosing to use it instead of the Ice Cream Sandwich one.