Install CM 10.1.2 Jelly Bean 4.2.2 stable ROM on Galaxy S3 SCH-I535
For the entirety of this tutorial we shall let you find out how to update your Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 SCH-I535 with CM 10.1.2 stable ROM. The model we have chosen is the one which enables you to enjoy all the features that make Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean such a great operating system for those of you who prefer it over other versions.
If you wonder whether or not the update will take long to complete, we answer: no. And once you have it on the smartphone, you shall be amazed by the many tweaks, features and whatnot meant to bring an improved performance. And you will not be marred by security problems.
As for pre-requisites, here you go: root your Galaxy S3 I535 and find an appropriate custom recovery image to flash on it, make a backup (you can use this tutorial), use the bootloader unlocked version, make a full NANDroid backup (you must use this guide), charge the device’s battery and at the end turn on USB Debugging on your phone.
Should the I535 sport a CM 10.1 build that’s older, you need to use the factory reset option. In case you don’t perform the latter, you are going to have to enter Recovery Mode and thus redo the guide in case the handset experiences a boot loop.
How to install CyanogenMod 10.1.2 on Galaxy S3
The tutorial is now finally here to get you introduced to how the update should happen.
- First step: download Gapps here and after that download the CyanogenMod 10.1.2 zip (file name: cm-10.1.2-d2vzw.zip); these need to be downloaded on your PC and then saved there, too.
- Don’t extract any of the two packages. What you have to do is the following: plug the smartphone to your laptop. Then take the two packages from the laptop and get them on board the handset’s SD card root.
- Once they are in that new place, you should totally unplug the devices from one another and afterwards do this: switch the Galaxy S3 I535 off.
- What is expected from you next is as follows: enter the device into Recovery Mode, then stay where you are and choose Backup&Restore.
- After you are done, you will be required to make a complete NANDroid backup if you haven’t for the requirements, so perform that and then opt for Factory Reset/Wipe Data, confirm this action and then choose Install zip from SD card and confirm that, as well.
- Next move that’s expected from you: opt for Choose zip from SD card; after you just found the CM 10.1.2 zip file, we will need you to do this: confirm the flashing of it on your smartphone.
- Wait a bit, then go back to the previous screen; choose, a second time, the option called Choose zip from SD card, then locate the Gapps zip, flash it on the phone and then wait for the installation to end before you do the following: go back to the Recovery screen (the very first one).
- Choose, when you reach the destination, the following option: Restart your device. Your device shall boot into Normal Mode once that option is selected.
- At the end of the booting process you will need to open your Google account, enter your personal details there and wait again. And that concludes the guide: your Samsung Galaxy S3 SCH-I535 (Verizon version) is updated to the CyanogenMod 10.1.2 Nightly stable ROM.
NOTE: To go back to how the smartphone was behaving before the update, we recommend taking the following easy route:
- find the NANDroid backup file;
- install it by repeating this tutorial.