Update Galaxy S4 SPH-L720 with AOKP Jelly Bean 4.2.2 Milestone 2 Official ROM
US Cellular Galaxy S4 SPH-L720 is the only handset which is fit for our guide on how to provide it with the following: AOKP Jelly Bean 4.2.2 Milestone 2 official ROM.
What sets today’s firmware apart from others created so far: the fact that your device is going to amaze you with its speed, battery, the possibility to install various apps and so on.
If you have the Galaxy S4 from another carrier, use another tutorial instead of ours. Then have the following memorized:
- root your phone using this tutorial;
- flash it with a custom recovery image (you can download the image from this place);
- create backups via these instructions (and, just to be sure, make a NANDroid backup using this guide);
- use the Galaxy S4 L720 (US Cellular variant) that is not factory locked;
- charge the battery of the handset;
- turn USB Debugging on;
- factory reset the smartphone.
The tutorial will perhaps be difficult to follow by beginners. So make sure you ask someone for help if you want to update your smartphone the right way.
How to flash AOKP Official ROM on Galaxy S4
- If you feel all ready for this tutorial, begin it by downloading JB 4.2.2 AOKP Milestone 2 ROM (file name: aokp_jflteusc_jb-mr1_milestone-2.zip) and Google Apps package from this place. Only the first package will then have to pass through an unzipping phase.
- Take the smartphone and connect it to your laptop, then see if the plugging turned out to be successful or not. If nothing went haywire at this part, then copy the zip files from the personal comp and make sure you paste them to the SD card of your smartphone.
- Once the devices are no longer plugged to one another, you have to long-press Power until the phone is no longer turned on. When done, enter it into Recovery Mode.
- There, make a NANDroid backup; the way to do that depends on what sort of custom recovery image your handset has. So here you go: in case the Galaxy S4 sports TeamWin Recovery Project:
– press “Backup“;
– make a NANDroid backup.
- Should your devices have ClockworkMod Recovery, then:
– opt for “Backup&Restore“;
– confirm the creation of a NANDroid backup.
- Next up you are asked to apply Factory Reset; again, how to do this depends on the phone’s custom recovery image. If TWRP is the one on your device:
– press “Wipe“;
– press “Factory reset“;
– do a confirmation now.
- To apply Factory Reset for the Galaxy S4 L720 with CWM Recovery:
– choose Factory Reset/Wipe Data;
– confirm this operation.
- The installation of the AOKP ROM file on the smartphone relies on a couple of actions. In case of the TeamWin Recovery Project being present on the device:
– press “Install” first;
– follow that by looking for the ROM zip and then confirm.
- For the Galaxy S4 that boasts ClockworkMod Recovery, you have to opt for Install zip from SD card; now choose Find zip from SD card, then locate the required ROM archive. Flash it when you see it.
- For the installation of the Google Apps, you need to return to the tasks done for the flashing of the other file; repeat every single one of them.
- Go back to your phone’s Recovery Menu and restart the device by choosing the well-known system restarting option. The Galaxy S4 SPH-L720 will, after booting into Normal Mode, have the AOKP Jelly Bean 4.2.2 Milestone 2 official ROM to boast about.
- Now all there is to do next is this: go to your Google account and type in your personal details. That way you will get to enjoy the update to the fullest.
The ROM your phone used to have before can be enjoyed once more in case the new tool is not to your fancy. To go back to the old ROM: restore that NANDroid backup we made you create.