Install Jelly Bean 4.3 Carbon AOSP custom ROM on Galaxy S3 SPH-L710
Sprint has Galaxy S3 SPH-L710 for all of you who haven’t yet bought this particular model. Once you have purchased this device, you should consider upgrading it to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean Carbon AOSP ROM.
But why should you go through this procedure? Because the results will be great as far as performance and user experience goes. There are many tools that are made specifically for an updated phone or tablet. And if you don’t get the update we are talking about here, you will miss out on all of them.
Here are some of the things you will encounter: new tweaking options, the possibility to get custom ROMs installed on your handset, the presence of new features, a battery that is sure to last a lot longer than it currently does and so on. The few bugs you may meet along the way are in no way very dangerous for your handset.
The update firmware this tutorial holds needs you to follow the requirements below:
- root the Galaxy S3 L710 via a tutorial which instructs you how;
- install a custom recovery image on the device (TWRP or CWM are the two best ones out there, so opt for one of them);
- create a backup using this guide;
- get, from the Internet, USB drivers which are suited to your phone model;
- install those drivers on your laptop;
- turn on USB Debugging on the smartphone;
- fully charge the battery of the handset.
If the bugs we mentioned briefly come to annoy you, you should create a full NANDroid backup; that should be done in order to return the phone to its previous ROM in case the bugs do greater damage than what we told you.
The tutorial will now take you on the journey called updating the Sprint Galaxy S3 L710 to the new AOSP nightly ROM. So follow the steps we included in this journey.
- The first time around you need to download these files on the notebook you are using: Google Apps archive (from this location) and the Carbon AOSP Jelly Bean 4.3 custom ROM (file name: CARBON-JB-NIGHTLY-20130819-0610-d2spr.zip) Extract the content that is inside each of these packages, then plug the phone to the laptop and transfer the two files from the latter to the handset’s SD card root.
- At the end of this copy and paste move, you will have to first power the handset off; second, unplug the devices from one another and boot the phone into Recovery Mode by doing as instructed right now: press and hold Volume Up and Home at the same time while switching the handset on.
- For your next move, you will be asked to do this: operate a full data wipe of your device, then go to the option called Install zip from SD card; your task: opt for it with Power.
- Then opt for Choose zip from SD card. And immediately afterwards make sure you aim for the following actions: choose the new ROM zip file with Power and confirm the flashing which will start soon.
- You will need to flash the Gapps file by repeating all of the steps required for the installation of the previous file. Once the flashing of these two packages is done, you need to opt for Go Back.
- Then choose the Restart key from the phone’s Recovery Menu so that the Galaxy S3 SPH-L710 gets rebooted.
After the restarting is over, the phone will have the Android 4.3 JB Carbon AOSP ROM custom firmware in the “About Phone” part of it. Go there, then profit from the new tool by looking for all the neat additions you can make to your handset!