Root Galaxy S4 SCH-R970 on Jelly Bean 4.2.2 VXUAMF5 Firmware
For our next tutorial you should own Samsung’s great Galaxy S4 SCH-R970, the U.S. Cellular version. The guide will use only this particular variant to show you how to root it. Refrain from applying the method here on a different smartphone, because it will end up damaged. And we mean it, so be careful to take this into account to avoid unnecessary problems.
The phone should have already received the latest Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean via VXUAMF5 firmware, which is something we require of you before we let you find out how to exactly root the handset. And now allow us to tell you of the other pre-requisites we want you to fulfill for your Galaxy S4 R970:
- create a backup (for which you are advised to gather round the crucial data on your phone to be able to use it after the guide ends);
- install – on your laptop – the appropriate USB drivers meant for your handset;
- the phone’s battery will have to be fully charged;
- turn on USB Debugging on the Galaxy S4 R970.
- Since we are using a tool called CF-Auto-Root, you will have to download it on your notebook.
- You will then have to download a second zip file on your notebook and this one is known as Odin tool 3.07. These were the first two tasks which you need to start performing for our tutorial. Below you will find the rest of them!
- Unzip the wide array of files found on both the packages above.
- Then power the smartphone off and do the following to aid it reach Download Mode: press and simultaneously hold Volume Down and Home, after which you will be asked to press Power and stop when the handset comes back to life; after that press Volume Up and that will be enough to arrive in the Download Mode.
- Afterwards you should open, on your personal comp, Odin. Then plug the smartphone to your notebook; if the latter detects your Galaxy S4 SCH-R970, you will receive the following hints of a successful plugging: “Added!!” is going to pop on the screen and a yellow ID:COM box will follow that message. Or the other way around.
- Then, after everything is connected well, you should click on PDA, opt for the CF-Auto-Root .tar.md5 file, then check these boxes: F. Reset Time and Auto Reboot; Re-partition does not need to be chosen, so tap Start and the flashing of the rooting firmware shall commence at last.
- The handset will, after the installation ends, restart. A couple of seconds after that, the device will give you this message: PASS. And there will also be a background in green.
- Wait for both of them to appear, then disconnect the phone from your PC and your Galaxy S4 SCH-R970 U.S. Cellular will be rooted and ready to flash custom ROMs, root-only apps, customize it in various ways and so on.
NOTE: The phone should have Root Checker installed on it after you root it; this app will tell you if the rooting did happen or if you should repeat the tutorial. The Root Checker app is in Google Play Store.
After you are done with our guide and you will want to see its warranty, you won’t find it on your smartphone. So install official firmware from the manufacturer if you want to see the warranty as part of your handset once more.