Update Galaxy S Epic D700 with AvatarROM Build 2.9b Jelly Bean 4.2.2 Firmware
Samsung Galaxy S Epic 4G SPH-D700 (Sprint version) stars in today’s guide. We are about to tell you how to flash AvatarROM Build 2.9b on it. This custom firmware will update the smartphone to Jelly Bean 4.2.2.
For now, we will invite these pre-requisites: turn on USB debugging, charge the battery, make a backup using our dedicated tutorial (a NANDroid one should also be applied), flash USB Drivers for your phone on your laptop and use the phone that is bootloader and carrier unlocked.
- Step one will need you to download the Jelly Bean 4.2.2 AvatarROM Build 2.9b custom ROM and Gapps archive (you must choose the file labelled gapps-jb-20130301-signed.zip) on your PC.
- Plug the handset to your notebook and prepare for step number two: transfer the avatar-2.9b-719-20130503-epicmtd.zip and Gapps archive to the SD card root of the Galaxy S Epic D700. Unplug the devices the second the zip files have been copied to the place we indicated.
- Step number three will urge you to turn the D700 off. Step four will afterwards come and tell you this: enter the phone into Recovery Mode by pressing and holding, at the same time, Volume Down/Up/Power; the display should flash as a result of this, which is when you need to let go of those keys.
- Step four will need you to do the following: operate three wiping actions. The first of them requires you to choose Factory Reset/Wipe Data and then opt for Yes. Then go back to the Recovery Menu so that you can perform the second wiping task like this: opt for Wipe Cache Partition. The third task to operate for this step: choose Wipe Dalvik Cache.
- The step to arrive next is the fifth one; it tells you to opt for Install zip from SD card.
- For step six you should opt for Choose zip from SD card, then find the AvatarROM Build 2.9b archive; after you see where it is, you need to press Power so that you can choose it to have it flashed on the phone.
- Step seven will require you to do the following: confirm the installation of that file, then wait for the process to end. Now have the Gapps file flashed on the same device by repeating the actions performed for steps six and this one. Having just installed both these zip files on your Galaxy S Epic 4G SPH-D700, you need to return to the Recovery Menu.
- Step eight will have you opt for the system restarting. Have patience for around five minutes. The D700 will then welcome you to the Android 4.2.2 JB update acquired via the AvatarROM Build 2.9b custom firmware.
How to return to the stock ROM
If you choose to return to the ROM that was on your handset prior to this tutorial, you should follow our mini guide.
- Boot the phone into Recovery.
- Choose Backup&Restore.
- Wait for a list containing your ROM to pop on the display; find the ROM you want and opt for it.
As for seeing a Status 7 error, you have to unseen it by flashing a compatible kernel on the device and then the AvatarROM Build 2.9b. If you spot the fact that your smartphone is experiencing an infinite boot loop, you need to also follow a mini tutorial which starts like this: operate Wipe Cache Partition. Step two: perform Wipe Dalvik Cache. Step 3: restart your SPH-D700.