How to Update Galaxy S4 SCH-I959 to Jelly Bean 4.3 KEUENB2
Your Galaxy S4 SCH-I959 is one of the many smartphones which can enjoy Android 4.3 Jelly Bean. There is a very simple way to get this OS. You will see what we mean if you stick around!
The procedure that will land the latest Android OS on your Galaxy S4 is helped by KEUENB2 for China (Anycall). This firmware was launched this month for the aforementioned country and carrier.
If you think you can use this firmware on another phone model, you’re wrong. The guide we prepared for today and the new official firmware work only for the Galaxy S4 SCH-I959. Should you be using the wrong model, you will get a bricked device.
This new stock firmware has an activated KIES logo. The fact that the logo is turned on helps you to use Samsung’s KIES if you want. To use it, however, you must own a Galaxy S4 SCH-I959 with stock ROM running on it.
Our tutorial doesn’t ask for that. So, if you want to use it instead of the KIES method, go ahead. But be warned: if you’re using the firmware on a rooted phone, the system partition as well as your handset’s root access will go away. The important data will stay on your smartphone, as will its internal / external SD cards.
Along with this official firmware, your handset is going to end up with many additions. The ones to look out for: new apps, new customization options and new features. Once the update is done, you will experience a smartphone that is improved a lot.
Before that can happen, though, you must first follow some requirements and then some steps. Here are the pre-requisites:
- to preserve your phone’s content, make sure backups are performed (a full NANDroid backup is also a must);
- you will find some USB drivers for your phone;
- download them on the laptop;
- enable USB Debugging on your Galaxy S4 SCH-I959;
- don’t use a notebook which runs a different OS than Windows;
- if charge levels are extremely low on your smartphone, charge the latter;
- every security program installed on the notebook must be deactivated for the update;
- disable the security programs which are installed on your phone, as well.
Step by step instructions
- The very first thing to do now is this: download, on your notebook, Odin v3.09 and then the Jelly Bean 4.3 KEUENB2 for China (Anycall). These two must then be saved on that device, too.
- Extract the packages afterwards; you will get the firmware file and Odin v3.09.exe next. If the unzipping went well, open the Odin v3.09.exe that was just extracted on your laptop, then boot the phone in this mode: Download.
- This mode should be accessed like this: first press and simultaneously hold the buttons called Home, Power and Volume Down. Then make sure you wait till a message with a boot pops up on the display. Final task: let go of those three buttons and press Volume Up instead.
- Coming up next: create, with the phone’s USB cord, a connection between the Galaxy S4 SCH-I959 and the notebook.
- The Odin will tell you when the connection has been established by showing up with a blue sign. This will let you know that you can add the firmware file to AP / PDA for the next step.
- After the adding is done, check two boxes: F. Reset Time and Auto Reboot. Be careful: should Re-partition be checked already, uncheck this box. Now you can finally begin the flashing of the KEUENB2 on your phone via this method: tap “Start“.
- Some 12 minutes will have to pass now. Once these minutes are up, you should see a message saying “Pass” in green. After you experience your handset rebooting of its own accord, proceed to the last step. According to it, you should unplug your devices from each other.
- After you’ve taken the USB cord away from the phone, tap Settings on the latter. Now find About Phone, tap this option and then look for the new firmware. By opening it, the Jelly Bean 4.3 will reveal its novelties as described above.
If the new firmware is boring or doesn’t rise up to expectations, you can revoke the update process and restore the former ROM. This will require the use of the NANDroid backup file.
We have a comment section below for those of you who have questions about the update. Feel free to leave them there!