Update Samsung Captivate SGH-I897 to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean
Custom ROMs are a great way to benefit from all the nice offerings that an operating system has to deliver. Especially when our smartphones don’t come with the latest operating system. Today we will talk about how such a ROM can be of help on the Samsung Captivate SGH-I897 model that only sports the Android 2.3 Gingerbread.
The name of this custom ROM is MIUI ROM. The developer of this tool is Arisenhavok91 from the XDA Developers forum. But, even if it is of great help, it also is unofficial. And you all know what that means.
Please bear our last statement in your mind if you don’t want to get into trouble with your phone while or after you get the Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean update on it. Don’t forget that this custom ROM was not meant for other gadgets. Its role is to help owners of the Captivate I897 only. Any other smartphone is not going to yield the same results. Don’t begrudge us or call us to court if at any point of the instructions you run into a problem. Or more.
The following are required for the best installation of the MIUI ROM on this phone. See if you have the ClockworkMod Recovery already installed and a stock ROM. If you don’t, get them now of else you won’t be able to start the upgrade process. Then get the JellyUI v2.1 custom ROM (also called JellyUIv2.1.zip) on the device.
In order to prevent the loss of important stuff such as passwords for your Wi-Fi, instant messages and so on, do a backup of all of them. Don’t forget to add every single data that you consider very important and cannot live without (should you be a newbie in the backup area, you can find all sorts of guides on the World Wide Web).
Now that you are all set up from a requirements point of view at least, you have to proceed with the list of instructions we compiled for you.
- And the first step is the downloading of the JellyUIv2.1.zip ROM to the internal memory card that is on the device.
- Second step of the update: turn the latter off.
- Rebooting the device using ClockworkMod Recovery is the third step (this will happen after you press and hold the Volume Down/Up and Power keys at the same time). The buttons we mentioned earlier will then have to be let off after the display turns itself on. Wait for the ClockworkMod Recovery to boot.
- Fourth step translates into the creation of a NANDroid data backup of the ROM featured on this phone (opt for the Backup/Restore while you are in the recovery menu and then select Backup). You will have to wait then for the end of the backup by the recovery option before choosing to update the phone to Jelly Bean 4.1.1.
- Step five implies the return to the phone’s main menu. Then a full cleanup will have to be done. This also requires some steps: select Factory reset/Wipe data, select this option on the next stage. After that you must opt to clear the cache partition, confirm this on the next stage and return to the menu. After that you must select the Advanced feature, then choose Wipe Dalvik cache and, finally, confirm what you just performed.
- Get back the menu and chose the installation of the ZIP file from the memory card.
- In step seven you must select the installation of the ZIP file from the phone’s card. Thenfind the ROM ZIP archive. This also has to be confirmed when yo must choose to flash the ROM file to the phone.
- In step eight you may very well experience a rebooting while the installation is going on. Should the device reboot and then continue with the installation, simply perform the step that follows. If, however, the I897 goes through a sudden reboot, you need to remove the battery from the phone. After that you have to put it again inside the device.
- The next step of the process is to reboot it into the ClockworkMod Recovery mode. Going through the sixth and seventh steps is a requirement to finish the installation.
- The final step: get back to the menu and restart the entire system. This will just restart your device. And deliver you the Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean update on your Captivate SGH-I897.