Update Samsung SCH-I500 Fascinate to Jelly Bean 4.1.1 using AOKP ROM
To update your Samsung Fascinate SCH-I500 to the new Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean you only have to follow the instructions we wrote here. And make sure that you get everything right.
Like in the case of every other “How to” we wrote so far, today’s tutorial is also based on custom ROMs. This time, such a handy comes via Stephen k. Spear, a member on XDA Developers forum. His solution is called AOKP Jelly Bean ROM. However, this is in no way an official tool. So treat it with care before starting the Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean update. Because there might be problems like bugs on it. Be careful not to use the AOKP Jelly Bean ROM on a device that is not the Samsung Fascinate SCH-I500. And read every step included in the instructions with your utmost care. We will not be held responsible if you fail to do so.
To install this custom ROM and have it work, your device must have a ClockworkMod Recovery installed on it. If you see you don’t have it installed, then head over to the guide offered by CyanogenMod on their site.
Then you are going to need the smartphone’s connection cable (USB). The next requirement is that you download these two to a laptop or PC: GApps (the files are also available here) pack and the AOKP Jelly Bean ROM pack. The battery of the device needs to have a level of over 75%. Last but not least, it’s better to do a backup of all the personal data you keep on the Fascinate SCH-I500.
And so, here is what you need to do to install the Jelly Bean 4.1.1 update on your Samsung smartphone.
- The step that is the first one: copy the files from the previous links into the internal memory card. Then don’t forget to turn the phone off.
- This is done the same way as what we have discussed in our other “How to” guides: press and keep pressed the Volume Up / Down and Power buttons together, in the same time. The phone logo is going to make an entrance on the display two times instead of one.
- The third step is to perform a NANDroid backup of the original ROM that your phone is using. Which is a very easy thing to do, really. Simply select Backup & Restore and after that select the Backup option.
- The fourth step is to select Factory reset/Cleanup data. After you accomplish that, simply confirm it on the screen that will appear afterwards. Then opt for the installation of the ZIP file from the SD card.
- The fifth step includes the selection of the ZIP file from the internal SD card. While you’re here, choose the AOKP ROM file.
- Then you will have to do another confirmation of what you just performed; you do it on the next step. This will mean the beginning of the ROM installation.
- The seventh step: the Fascinate SCH-I500 automatically reboots while it is installing itself (you may experience some issues here; if the device stops at the firsts elements of the boot animation, you should get its battery out. Then place it in its place again and boot to Recovery; likewise if the device should reboot and stop the installation, step five needs to be done again).
- Step eight has to do with the installation of the Google Apps pack. This is done in a similar fashion as in the fifth and sixth steps.
- The ninth and final step is to choose Go back. Then you need to opt for restart the entire system again. However, 5-7 minutes are needed for the phone’s first boot to finish successfully.
And that’s a wrap on how to get the Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean update using the AOKP ROM.