Update Galaxy Tab 4 7.0 SM-T231 to KitKat 4.4.2 XXU0ANG1
In case your Galaxy Tab 4 7.0 (3G) SM-T231 is better off with an update, we put together a guide. This post has all the ingredients that will help you achieve your goal. The steps that will bring the update your way are included in the guide.
If you can’t stay away from updating the Samsung SM-T231, you might want to consider this official firmware: Android 4.4.2 XXU0ANG1. It will help big time. For starters, this is something that came out recently for Colombia (Movistar). It features a deactivated KIES logo, though. In other words: you can’t get the upgrade by using the KIES software. But you can always choose a method called OTA (over-the-air). This method is available only if you own a tablet using stock ROM.
The benefits of this official firmware
The right way to approach this tutorial is if you own the Galaxy Tab 4 7.0 SM-T231. The new firmware will damage a different tablet version, so use only this one. When you want to install the Android 4.4.2 KitKat XXU0ANG1, you will need some steps. But first, take a look at the novelties your device will have after the procedure’s over.
The upgrade has plenty of new apps in store for you. Then you will get access to completely new features. The goodies are also represented by battery tweaks and various new apps. The tablet’s CPU will have improved speeds for your gadget. To help you customize the tablet, the official firmware comes with different tweaks. No security troubles will affect the gadget; the latter will not receive unwanted files, documents or other sort of bloatware.
This sort of process needs you to follow some pre-requisites. They will come in a bit, just after we introduce the drawbacks to updating your device. When an upgrade happens to it, the internal and external SD cards will receive no damage. Neither will important data. However, the system partition will be gone. As will root access. Both of these cons happen if you have root access on this tablet.
Here are the requirements we told you to follow:
- there are certain USB drivers that must be downloaded on your notebook (they are all compatible with the tablet);
- you should disable, on your laptop, its security programs;
- then deactivate the security programs that are already installed on your laptop;
- create one or multiple standard backups;
- the laptop you’re using to update the tablet must run Windows;
- generate, afterwards, a full NANDroid backup;
- the tablet’s USB Debugging is going to have to be turned on;
- the battery of your Galaxy Tab 4 7.0 SM-T231 has to be charged at its fullest.
Step by step instructions
- Your first task comes now: download the official KitKat 4.4.2 XXU0ANG1 firmware (file name: T231XXU0ANG1_T231TFG0ANG2_COB.zip) on your notebook. Make sure you select the version that works for Colombia (Movistar).
- Then go on and download Odin v3.09 from this page on your laptop. You have to find an unzipping tool (WinRar or WinZip) and use it to unzip the packages you downloaded.
- Odin v3.09.exe is going to show up soon after the extraction’s done. When this file pops up, open it on the laptop and boot the tablet in Download Mode. There are three buttons you will need to press and hold simultaneously first: Home, Power and Volume Down.
- The second thing to do: perform that action until you see a boot message. Now you can press only Volume Up. The device is in the Download Mode now.
- Plug the tablet and laptop between one another using the tablet’s USB cable. Odin will display a blue sign once it successfully finds the gadget and the connection is established.
- That way you can move on by adding the following to AP / PDA: the firmware file. If you’re done, continue by tapping both of these boxes: Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time. Re-partition is the box which must now be unchecked. After that, tap “Start“.
- The new XXU0ANG1 official firmware will start its installation phase. Allow this action to finish before performing the last steps.
- The flashing should take 10-15 minutes. If you don’t see anything happening, then repeat our steps and wait. “Pass” will soon come up and the tablet will reboot.
- Unplug the Galaxy Tab 4 7.0 (3G) SM-T231 from the laptop. When done, make sure to click on both of these: Settings and About Tablet.
Your gadget is now featuring the goodies we detailed above. You have to take a good look at them first, then see how you like them. If you don’t, revoking the update is a good idea. In case you want to do that and restore the old ROM: use the NANDroid backup file.
Use the comment section below if you have problems.