Update HTC Incredible S with Jelly Bean 4.2.2 CyanVivo 10.1 Custom ROM
Because HTC Incredible S has made its users content with how it performs, we recommend CyanVivo 10.1 custom firmware to update it to the newest Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean operating system. As usual, every single customization option you get with a CyanogenMod tool will be possible on this smartphone, too.
The CyanVivo 10.1 is not an official tool. So you should expect problems. But they are not the kind to affect your device that badly. The developer is working on solving the slight bugs, so we’ll keep you posted.
Before the update can happen, you should consider these pre-requisites: use an HTC Incredible S that is fully unlocked, turn on USB debugging, flash USB drivers for the phone on your laptop, charge its battery and create backups using our tutorials (an external SD card should be used for a backup of the data that’s on the handset’s internal memory).
The guide is green lighted now, so proceed to it with care.
- First: download the CyanVivo 10.1 custom ROM and Gapps (you should choose the file labelled gapps-jb-20130301-signed.zip) on the notebook. Take the USB cord of the phone and use it as a tool to plug the device to your PC. Now copy and paste the files from the first instruction to your handset’s SD card root.
- Unplug the devices from one another when the files have been moved to another spot. Continue by powering the Incredible S off and entering it into Recovery Mode. The latter should be done like this: press and hold, simultaneously, Volume Down and Power to boot the phone into HBOOT main menu; once in that place, you have to opt for Recovery.
- The next task to be performed is to choose the following three options in this order:
– Factory Reset/Wipe Data (choose “Yes” and then return to the Recovery Menu);
– Wipe Cache Partition;
– Wipe Dalvik Cache.
- As soon as you are done with the selection of the above actions which will soon wipe the data on your smartphone, you need to opt for the following: Install zip from SD card and then for Choose zip from SD card.
- The CyanVivo10.1_05.10.zip should be chosen with the help of Power; this kind of action will have to be confirmed, so do that for now. What will happen soon is as follows: the CyanVivo 10.1 custom firmware is going to start its flashing routine on your Incredible S.
- After a bit of waiting, you will need to also install the Google Apps package on your handset. Which is done by repeating what we wrote in the previous paragraph.
- At the end of these tasks, you should return to the phone’s Recovery Menu. The option that has to be chosen now is this: restart your device. After the handset boots into the update firmware, you can start enjoying the latest Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean.
Tutorials that teach you how to update a gadget can run into various issues, all frustrating. Such a one is the following: the device you own can get a “Status 7 error” on its touchscreen. The quickest solution to this kind of trouble: find and afterwards flash a compatible kernel; when done with this, flash the custom firmware. To help the smartphone get unstuck from boot loop, you should operate these two actions: Wipe Cache Partition followed by Wipe Dalvik Cache, then reboot the phone.
The way you can experience the previous ROM once more is by operating the following: boot the Incredible S into Recovery, opt for Backup&Restore and finish by choosing the ROM from a list which contains it.
Now that we’ve settled this, go and enjoy time in the sun with the updated HTC Incredible S!