Flash Cookies&Cream custom ROM for the Google Nexus 7
When Google and Asus came with a new tablet which they baptized Nexus 7, everyone expected it to run the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, but it didn’t. For all of you who want to see how the new OS works on this gadget, we prepared a couple of steps that have to do with a certain custom ROM.
This custom ROM is known as Cookies&Cream. This version is a 2-in-1 of sorts, because it borrows all the advantages of the ParanoidAndroid and the Codename Android ROMs before it. However, you should know that this tool is still not finished, because its developer noticed issues regarding a mode called Hybrid and the Bluetooth connectivity option. From what we observed in tests, though, this tool behaved well. So don’t worry and install it if you want the newest Android operating system on your Google Nexus 7.
Before moving further, keep in mind some of the stuff your tablet needs to have in order to experience a successful installation of the Cookes&Cream custom ROM. The first item on the list: the download of two main files, which are the Google Apps archive pack and the Cookies&Cream for Asus Nexus 7. Then you have to install the ClockworkMod Recovery on your gadget After that make a backup and check if the tablet has access to the root and if the bootloader is unlocked. Now you are set to follow the steps we prepared for the installation process.
- Download the Google Application pack from here and the Cookies&Cream custom ROM to the memory card of the Nexus 7. This is the first step.
- The second step is the following: turn the device off and then select the Volume Down, Volume Up and Power buttons at the same time.
- After this comes step 3, for which you have to connect the tablet to a laptop with the help of a USB connector. Then wait till an Android robot appears on the screen; this robot needs to be lying on its back, which means that you should now select the Recovery mode option via the Volume Down button.
- Step 4: tap on Power and choose Recovery mode. Once you do that you will see the Android icon sporting a triangle painted red.
- For the fifth step you need to select the Power button, then press Volume Up key.
- Step 6: when you are in the Recovery Mode, perform a NANDroid backup of the actual ROM version on the tablet.
- The next step, number 7, instructs you to return to Backup and Restore; when you are there, choose Backup and then Factory reset/Wipe data. The latter action needs to be confirmed.
- For step 8 you have to choose Wipe cache partition; which also needs a confirmation. When that is performed, return to the tablet’s menu.
- Step 9: choose Advanced and then Wipe Dalvik cache, an action that requires a confirmation as well.
- This step is followed by the tenth one: locate Mounts and Storage; when you find it, opt for Format/system, which will lead you to make a selection of an option called Install ZIP from SD card.
- This is followed by step number 11, which tells you to opt for Choose ZIP from SD card. Then you need to find the Cookies&Cream custom ROM archive; confirm this, too.
- Repeat what was asked of you in the tenth step to flash the Google Apps pack, previously copied on the internal SD card.
- Last step: return to the device’s main menu. When there, opt for restarting of the gadget.