Guide: Install Android 4.3 XXUGNA2 on Galaxy S3 GT-I9300
Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 is on the verge of a breakthrough. Which means an update to Jelly Bean 4.3. Watch as we tell you how the procedure can be performed!
The presence of the Android 4.3 on your smartphone is possible thanks to new firmware XXUGNA2. It was released this month for Germany (1&1). This firmware will bring plenty of new features as well as various options and tweaks to improve your device’s performance. You will also notice loads of numerous tweaks on-board to personalize your smartphone, improve its battery life and so on. New apps are also present. Your enjoyment of the phone won’t be affected by security problems.
To perform the update you can use, apart from this tutorial, Samsung’s KIES. To do as such, your Galaxy S3 I9300 must have a stock ROM.
Our steps will work only if your device is the model we mentioned. A different one will only be bricked. There’s something you should know before you perform this update. In case your handset is rooted, this will happen: root access will be revoked and the system partition is going to be deleted. The phone’s important content and internal/external SD cards won’t be affected.
You have to perform these pre-requisites from now on:
- remember to observe the battery icon and charge the phone if needed;
- download, on the laptop, USB drivers (the ones which work only with your handset);
- save the data on your device via a backup;
- disable any security software running on the notebook and the phone alike;
- create a full NANDroid backup using this guide;
- USB Debugging must be enabled on your Galaxy S3 GT-I9300;
- a laptop which is running Windows is the only device accepted for this guide.
Step by step instructions
- The first task we need you to perform now: download the Jelly Bean 4.3 XXUGNA2 (the Germany 1&1 version is here) and Odin on the laptop. After the download ends, you need to use WinZip or 7Zip to extract the content of the two files on the notebook.
- Once you’ve completed the unzipping, you should boot the Samsung GT-I9300 into Download Mode, so press and hold, at the same time, Home + Volume Down + Power, then only Volume Up as soon as a screen of warning pops up.
- You can now open Odin as Admin on the laptop.
- Next up: use the USB cord of your handset. This will create a connection between your smartphone and the laptop. As soon as the process is over, you will be greeted by a message that says “Added!!” and by an ID:COM box; the color of the latter must be yellow or blue.
- When you see both these elements, you are free to continue the guide. But if you don’t spot them, you should try a second installation of the USB drivers. Or use another USB port.
- Continue by tapping BL and afterwards opting for a file with BL in the name. You will then be required to do this: click on AP, opt for a file with AP in the name, tap CP, opt for a file with CP in its name, tap CSC, choose a file which has CSC in the name, tap PIT and choose a file with an extension called .pit.
- The next step will ask you to check Re-partition, F. Reset Time and Auto Reboot. What comes next is the following: tap “Start” so that the XXUGNA2 firmware may be installed on the smartphone.
- The flashing is going to end in a matter of minutes. After waiting for that to happen, the Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 will automatically restart and a “Pass” in green is going to be displayed on the touchscreen. If you’ve noticed them both, you are allowed to unplug the devices from one another.
The new firmware has just found a place on your smartphone. Have a go at it by first finding it. If you have no idea where it is: after you click on Settings, tap About Phone and it will appear.
When you have it in front of your eyes, you should take a look at it and notice its strengths and weaknesses. If the latter make the whole performance disappointing, the NANDroid backup file is your salvation. This file, when used, will restore the old ROM on the phone. At the same time, though, it shall revoke the upgrade.
For comments, questions and whatnot, there’s a comment section below.