Upgrade Galaxy Mega 6.3 GT-I9200 to Android 4.2.2 ZCUCML5
Galaxy Mega 6.3 GT-I9200 for China can enjoy Android 4.2.2. after a short guide. Learn all about this procedure below.
ZCUCML5 is the name of the firmware which was just released for the Galaxy Mega 6.3 I9200. But only for the China version. It should be added that our tutorial is not aimed at another smartphone. If you use it on a different version, you’ll brick it for sure.
The KIES logo is turned on so that the handset can, if the owner wants it, be updated via Samsung’s KIES software. Attention: the Galaxy Mega 6.3 GT-I9200 running a stock ROM must be the only device that should be used for an upgrade with that software.
That being said, here’s a look at the novelties: a new set of download notifications, a USB debug white-list and a new Gallery app with superior speed when loading. The new software also delivers the possibility to long-press both the WiFi and the Bluetooth icons in Quick Settings (in case you want to toggle the on/off state). There are low battery bug fixes and a new set of sounds for wireless charging. The ZCUCML5 doesn’t have Bluetooth audio streaming bugs.
The cons which this new firmware brings are the following: root access will be revoked and the system partition will be erased. The phone won’t lose its internal or external SD cards. The most important data running on your handset shall be saved, as well.
The update is going to happen after you’re done with these requirements:
- you’ll find USB drivers for the smartphone online and they must be downloaded on the notebook;
- the security solutions available on your notebook must be turned off;
- a regular backup should be created;
- you must also create a full NANDroid backup using the steps from this guide;
- if it’s empty, the handset’s battery must be charged;
- your notebook must have Windows activated on it;
- turn on USB Debugging;
- the Jelly Bean 4.2.2 ZCUCML5 for your handset must be downloaded from here on your laptop;
- then download Odin from this page on the laptop;
- the same should happen with the ones on your Galaxy Mega 6.3 GT-I9200.
Step by step instructions
The most important thing now is to follow the instructions below. The update will then happen easily.
- The two packages you just downloaded on the notebook must be extracted. We recommend using WinRar or WinZip. If the unzipping has happened, your handset will have to enter Download Mode.
- Here is how to make it boot into that mode: simultaneously press and hold Home, Volume Down and Power. Wait for a screen containing a warning shows up and, when it’s there, press Volume Up. At the end of this task, another step will follow.
- According to it, the Odin should be launched on your laptop as Admin.
- After you do that, you have to establish a connection between the Galaxy Mega 6.3 GT-I9200 and the other device. Which is where the phone’s USB cable comes in.
- After using it, “Added!!” and an ID:COM box (in blue or yellow) should be shown. If they fail to pop up, you can do one of the following: move to a different USB port or install, once more, the USB drivers on the laptop.
- When a connection has finally been realized, time to tap BL, opt for a file with BL in the name, tap AP, select a file with AP in the name, tap CP, choose a file with CP in its name, click on CSC, select a file which has CSC in the name, click on PIT and opt for a file with an extension that has .pit in it.
- Auto Reboot, Re-partition and then F. Reset Time are the boxes we want you to activate next.
- We also need this from you: tap “Start“. By doing this, you will start the installation of the new firmware on your handset. This process will only end as soon as the smartphone goes into a restart mode.
- After it reboots, a message saying “Pass” will greet you. You will have to remove, from your smartphone, the USB cord. Your two devices may now be unplugged from each other.
This is how to reach the ZCUCML5: return to your handset, tap Settings and then tap About Phone. When the firmware comes on-screen, click on it and play around with it.
Does it feel awkward? Were you expecting more from it? If yes, you can always restore the previous ROM. With the NANDroid backup file. However, its use will do the following: revoke the update procedure.
Questions and comments will be answered below.