Update Galaxy Nexus I9250 with Carbon AOSP Jelly Bean 4.3 custom ROM
For info on how to get Carbon AOSP Jelly Bean 4.3 custom ROM on your Galaxy Nexus i9250, we have this tutorial for you. It contains a list of the requirements and the steps which must be performed if you are after a successful upgrade.
The new firmware takes some of its options, features and other stuff from popular tools like ParanoidAndroid and AOKP. This is to say that the update will occupy your phone with new presents to unwrap.
The guide will now take a detour and show you the pre-requisites we mentioned:
- root the Galaxy Nexus GSM;
- see if it has its bootloader unlocked;
- install a custom recovery such as CWM or TWRP;
- create backups (both a NANDroid one and a regular one);
- charge your phone’s battery;
- enable an option called USB Debugging (for this, you have to first access Settings, launch Developer Options and choose the USB Debugging one).
- First instruction for our tutorial: get the Carbon custom ROM on your laptop or personal comp, download Google Apps from here on the latter and then, after the phone is connected to the laptop, copy + paste the packages from the PC to the internal storage of the handset.
- Once the transfer has been completed, it’s time for this step: unplug the phone from your notebook. Then turn the Galaxy Nexus i9250 off.
- Enter it in Bootloader Mode, choose Recovery Mode and then make a full NANDroid backup if there’s not one. Be careful, though, as this backup’s creation largely depends on what custom recovery image is on your smartphone.
- If the TWRP populates your device, we urge you to press “Backup“, choose your preferred system files to save and then confirm. For the phone which runs the CWM, you need to choose Backup & Restore, save your desired file to the SD card root of the handset and confirm.
- A factory reset should also be applied. In case there’s TWRP on your phone, you have to apply it by pressing “Wipe“, choosing “Factory Reset” and after that confirm. If, however, the CWM is present on the Galaxy Nexus GSM, it’s appropriate to choose Factory Reset/Wipe Data and afterwards make a confirmation.
- The new ROM is to be flashed on your personal phone depending, again, on whether CWM or TWRP is on it. So, for the CWM, we recommend you to opt for Install zip from SD card, continue with Choose zip from SD card and then confirm the flashing of the update firmware after you’ve chosen it first. For the TWRP-running device, it’s best to tap “Install”, look for the Carbon AOSP Android 4.3 custom ROM and confirm the installation.
- To have the Gapps flashed on your i9250: repeat the steps that got you the previous update package.
- Go back to the Recovery Menu after the files are in their places and then reboot the phone. Then go to the Gmail account you are a part of, enter your details there and experience the new update.
In case something went wrong and the phone has a boot loop to deal with, use this method: switch the handset off and redo the guide from the beginning till the end. Remember the NANDroid backup we discussed not too long ago? Use it if the ROM your phone has does not compare to the old one; the backup will restore the latter.