How to Flash Android 4.0.4 UBAML2 on Galaxy Pocket Plus GT-S5301L
There’s new official firmware in town for Galaxy Pocket Plus GT-S5301L: UBAML2. The developer behind it launched it so that Android 4.0.4 ICS can run on your smartphone. And run it will if you go with our tutorial!
The UBAML2 is firmware that goes only with the Galaxy Pocket Plus used in Argentina (Claro). Don’t go and use the guide on another model; it will be bricked.
This tutorial asks you to consider the following: a rooted Galaxy Pocket Plus S5301L will be damaged by the new firmware. Here is what will happen: the system partition will be deleted and the root access will be revoked. Even so, the phone’s important data will stay on it, and so will the internal and external SD cards.
The UBAML2 doesn’t have an activated KIES logo. This will make you opt between these update methods: OTA (over the air with the Software Update button under the tablet’s Settings menu) or today’s guide. The use of the OTA method implies the existence of a stock ROM on your smartphone; our tutorial doesn’t need that.
The Android 4.0.4 is equipped with some great features. By having them on your handset, you will see loads of improvements in terms of battery life, performance, stability, security and so on. Here is what you’ll get: better camera, enhanced phone number recognition as well as screen rotation made smoother.
When you’re ready for the goodies, go to the pre-requisites below and do what they say:
- the phone needs backups, so create some (among them, a full NANDroid backup, generated with this guide);
- USB Debugging must be turned on;
- should the battery run low, be sure to fully charge it;
- install USB drivers that work with the handset on your notebook;
- the security software which is part of the phone and the laptop must be disabled;
- use a notebook which features Windows.
Step by step instructions
- The Argentina Claro official firmware should be downloaded on your laptop. You will find it here. Then look for Odin on this page, download it on the laptop and, with WinZip, do this: extract the packages you saved on your laptop.
- If the unzipping is done, you have to do the following: boot the Galaxy Pocket Plus GT-S5301L in Download Mode. The best way to enter this mode: press and hold, at the same time, Volume Up + Home + Power, let go of them once the handset begins to vibrate and press Power once more.
- The Odin should be launched on your laptop for the next step; open it as an Admin. Then create a connection between the handset and the laptop.
- When you see the Odin locating the smartphone, the display will reveal a yellow ID:COM together with an “Added!!” message. Their presence will let you know that the connection has been established as intended. If it isn’t, one of the following should be applied: Go back to the USB drivers and install them on the laptop once more or use another USB port.
- When you see some buttons appear on the display, you should: tap BL, select a file with BL in the name, click on AP, opt for a file with AP in the name, tap CP, opt for a file with CP in its name, tap CSC, choose a file which has CSC in the name, tap PIT and choose a file with an extension called .pit.
- The next list of instructions looks like this: activate Re-partition, F. Reset Time and end by checking a third box called Auto Reboot.
- When all three of them are checked, you need to do as follows: install the UBAML2. To flash this new firmware, all that is required of you is this: tap “Start“, then wait.
- After a very brief period of waiting, the Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich will have been installed. You will know that once the Galaxy Pocket Plus GT-S5301L restarts on its own and “Pass” shows up in green.
- There’s no need for your devices to be plugged to one another, so make sure you take the USB cable out from between them. When they’re disconnected, access Settings, tap About Phone and go to the new firmware.
If you aren’t happy with it, the solution is easy: retrieve the old ROM. Which is the reason behind the creation of a NANDroid backup file. Open it and the update procedure will be revoked.
We are open for your questions and comments below!